Tuesday, July 24, 2012

French Federal Union Flag: Five Things you didn't know

So this is a little pre-Brickfair post about my Center Piece MOC at Brickfair 2012, called "Seattle Flagraising".

In the Center, my UFF (French Translation comes out to UFF) Flag is displayed. Here is several things you didn't know about it.

- In September, my original sketches displayed the Latin Motto (picked up and added to the Tri Colour in 1919) in Blue & Red. It was originally Accipe Hoc

- In September, just days later, the motto was changed to Salus In Arduis, meaning Safety in high places.

- In October, I added the Eagle in the memory of the late Jack Donaldson. The backstory for the eagle would come later.

- I decided Salus in Arduis originated in 1915 in units of the French Alpine Division as a motto. No other military unit could fight in high altitudes like them.

- I decided the Eagle originated from the purchase of Alaska, when a Sec. State got an eagle to land on his shoulder. It symbolizes power.

Cheers,
Brian

No comments:

Post a Comment